Re: AI agency

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 21:13:17 -0800

At 12:13 PM 11/3/97, Dewey Dykstra, Jr. wrote:
(re the Xerox research group)

>Actually, the lab was in Palo Alto, CA.

thanks for the correction. I knew it was somewhere in the USA. :-)

> They came up with the mouse,
>object oriented programming, and what is now called a GUI (the desktop in
>Mac parlance), but I'm not so sure about the Intel chip. Jobs apparently
>did 'get it' because Xerox head office didn't.

ya I remember now - they designed their own inter-office communciation
(what we call "email") - Intel got a hold of it, as I recall, one of the
research team wandered off and bumped into whichever manperson started up
Intel...
and... well. The rest is the u$ual $tory.

>I uderstand the person in charge of SmallTalk (the object oriented
>language) was a woman.
>
>Dewey

Interesting name, too: SmallTalk. 'cause dat's wut girlz do best.
yuknot

diane

thanks Dewey - did you happen to catch that 3-hr documentary on the "history"
of the PC?

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca