AI agency

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:28:09 -0800

At 3:32 PM 11/2/97, Mike Cole wrote:
>I strongly, positively, resonate to the following position summariszed
>by Jay in his note on 4s.
<snip>

>Lucy Suchman, whose work has been in the field of Artificial Intelligence,
>raised a number of troubling and exciting questions about the moral,
>ethical, and political implications of various views of Agency. She seems
>to developed a position that artefacts, including intelligent machines, do
>not have agency except as part of activity networks that include agentive
>humans, and that human agency is fundamental to the derived, or apparent
>agency of nonhuman actors. She argued that it is morally and politically
>unwise to try to define agency in such a way that humans and nonhumans
>(machines, tools, artefacts) have the same kind of agency.

of course, it's useful to think about technologies & tools as gendered
artifacts,
securely nestled in everyman's-land: determining agency within the tools and
technologies (AI, eg) is a kind of

masculinist projection in the wave of women-technologists... sure,
women can have agency, but the tools are still men's. AI is literally configured
and programmed

in traditions of rational/logic structures, which privilege men's
"superior" "intelligence:... and so on. It's a patriarchy kind of thing.
Domination. all
that political stuff. The very practice of *discussing* the issue betrays

the male-squirm: can humans and nonhumans have the same agency?
translated: can our tools have pricks?

HISTORY TRIVIA: In the 1950s, Xerox Corp. hired a little group of hot-shot
computer whiz-kids to hole up in a tech-lab in Colorado, and... well,
design the damned future!!

So, these Xerox kids (*the only computer-research team working in the
corporation sector at that time who employed women as active researchers*)

came up with object-oriented
language, and the beginnings of the Intel chip.

Xerox said, "not what we wanted" (translated: we don't understand what
you've done)

Steve Jobs trots down, sees what they've done, "gets it" and, voila: Macintosh.

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca