Re: miscellany

Naoki Ueno (nueno who-is-at nier.go.jp)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:47:54 +0900

At 11:29 PM 10/28/97 -0500, Jay Lemke wrote:
>I am in the process of catching up (as so often!).

>At the Social Studies of Science meeting in Tucson, where I was very happy
>to meet some xmca friends, I and others in the symposium I participated in
>on the relations of science education to professional science, began to
>wonder about the actual sorts of 'boundary objects' that flow between these
>two rather independent and increasingly unrelated networks of practices.

Dear Lemke-sensei and others,

I also have just come back from Tucson through Los Angels to Tokyo
yesterday.
I am still in jet-lag and night and day/Tokyo and Tucson boundaries
are confounding.
I was so happy to meet many people who take situated approach and
the view point of acitivity theory in the Social Studies of Science meeting.

Jean Lave who was one of discussant in the panel entitled
""Confounding the Boundaries: Learning(s) and Practice(s) in Technoscience"
where we participated sent a commentary paper to participants
by e-mail already. How quick she writes!
If possible, I would like to have your commentary paper as a discussant
in additon to your paper for your own presentation.

One of presentation at the panel was done by Mimi Ito. She reported
activities in 5th dimension and it was great as Jean's commentary.
On the way to Tokyo, my colleagues and I visited Chuck and Candy in
Los Angels. I heard from Candy that she is also participating in the project
of 5th dimension. 5th dimension project is growing and looks very nice.

Naoki Ueno
NIER, Tokyo