Re: north county times (monday, 10/27/97)

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:24:56 -0500

Hi Lou and everybody--

Thanks a lot for sharing this interesting article with us. I have several
comments to make.

1. I really admire the author of the article for her depiction of the
opponents' ideas. I can definitely recognize myself in her portray of
educational professors. I'm comfortable with Deborah's (Saunders, the
author of the article) "basic facts" about constructivism (or progressivism,
or whatever label to use).

2. I think that the article is not fair because there is tacit assumption
that constructivism/progressivism-oriented professors of ed shape US
education. I don't think it is true or even close to be true. Public
Agenda forgot to ask for ed professors' opinions about how many school
teachers TRULY run classrooms according to the constructivism described in
the article, how many schools, school districts, school boards, and states
allow the teachers to run the classroom in a constructivist way? Finally,
how many ed professor do in their own classrooms what they preach the
teachers should do?

3. I also think that the author is right to some degree by pointing out
that constructivism-oriented educators often dismiss some curricula (e.g.,
"basic facts," "computation," "spelling," "phonics") (I can provide a long
list of references to support this point). I agree with Debra that it is
not a good thing. I am with Jerome Bruner who once said something like
that, any child can be taught any curricula at any age but it should be done
in an HONEST WAY. It seems to me that an honest way of teaching "basic
facts" (or phonics, or spelling, or computation) is to ask why the suggested
facts have to be basic for myself as a teacher, for other people, and for
the students. I think that the constructivist focus should be on
meaningfulness of learning for the all participants (especially the
students) rather than on specific curricula. I strongly believe that
phonics can very exciting and extremely helpful for kids. And vise versa,
so called "whole language curricula" can be as terminal as a gun bullet.
For example, my literature loving son now hates "The Diary of Anna Frank"
after his seven grade English teacher did "whole language block" on this
book. I think we should prioritize the discussion of questions WHY? (i.e.,
educational philosophy or teaching models) rather than WHAT? (i.e.,
curricula) or HOW? (i.e., teaching methods).

What do you think?

I definitely give my students to read and discuss this article.

Eugene