Re: Boundary object

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:01:01 -0500

Yrjo and all,

I could use some help. I have found AT exciting in general as a
heuristic, a set of concerns to account for when determining what
counts as a socioculturally organized, motivated activity. I have had
difficulty (because of unfamiliarity with Marxist phil. no doubt)
understanding the "hardness" of the theory. It's plastic,
adaptable. In my way of thinking, a visit to a doctor's office
CAN be an object, if the patient and the doctor orient to the visit
as what must be done, what there is to do, at this time. The object
is what the subject orients to (I thought). The mediating instruments
would include the "genre" of patient-doctor visit, the architecture of
the office, the medical instruments used, charts, etc. Probably
the magazines in the waiting room, too. So the terms of the
theory have worked for me in part because of their metaphoric potential:
their adaptability to different perspectives on what is going on.

Now I think that my version of the theory may be fudging the historical
"real" that is at stake for Yrjo and other AT theorists.

I may be fudging the boundaries. So I look forward to continued
conversation on this topic.

Judy

At 10:48 AM 10/28/97 +0200, you wrote:

>Eugene, thanks for your comment. The idea that the visit itself is a
>boundary object never occurred to me. Wouldn't that reduce the notion of
>boundary object to some sort of frame, or participation framework (a la
>Goffman)? What would be left of the 'objectness', in the sense of something
>toward which the actions are oriented and which motivates the activity?
>
>Yrjo Engestrom

Judith Diamondstone
* NOTE CHANGE OF AREA CODE * (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
MAILING ADDRESS:
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183