Re: Boundary object

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 18:15:01 -0500

Hi Yrj=F6--

I always thought that when you was talking about a physician and a patien=
having different objects of their activity during the patent's visit to t=
he
doctor in your 1990 book (Learning, working, and imagining) you meant
similar concept to Leigh's. The visit itself is a "boundary object."

I think what makes the notion concrete is that the goal-defining processe=
of the two participants (or communities) are coordinated only through the
"boundary object" while the participants themselves are excluded from eac=
other's goal-defining processes.

Actually, when I think about Leigh notion of "boundary objects" I always
think about your research as nice illustration for it. But maybe I'm wro=
ng.

Yes, it would be very nice to hear what Leigh thinks.

Eugene