Re: visualization of change

David Dirlam (ddirlam who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu)
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 15:38:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Katherine Goff wrote:

> This coming week I am introducing SimEarth to my fifth grade students.
> This is a simulation of ecological variables influencing life on a
> planet. (My own 12-year old has constructed a Sim planet and nurtured
> the evolution of intelligent lizard life in one of his simulations.) I
> am interested in seeing what they will make of it and how to present
> the concepts that I find so useful from Bateson's Systems Theory to 10
> year olds. Easier than fractals, I agree.

Kathie
It would be fascinating to hear whether your 12-year old or your
students spontaneously use any of the ecological concepts in daily life.
Also, how long did your child spend on the simulation and is (s)he still
at it? Was there an initial burst of activity that is dying off or is the
interest in this sort of thing growing?
I wonder if Bill Barowy is still tuning in -- he has some
interesting papers on student interaction during simulations. One
recounted a debate (at 7th or 8th grade level, I think) about whether one
should control the variables (change one at a time) or go after a more
global fit). I wonder if your younger students think of that?
Sounds like you are a real pioneer.

David