Re: sociocultural/drama

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:30:11 -0700

<snip>

At 8:50 PM 10/17/97, Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu wrote:

>That's the major Theater education direction in Brazil: interaction
>between people mediated by Theater.

This sounds *interesting* ... Is it part of the 'popular education'
movements? Or something else? Are these school-based?

<snip>

>> art as a political tool, and as metaphors
>> for thinking outside of education-based models...
>
>Yes, it is a strong tool. In school education too.

*which schools*? I read that word, "school" and break out
in hives, if you want to know But I'm also basing my reactions on

North American schools - could you tell me a bit about the
schools' cultures where you work?

<snip>
>Why not in school education?

I have this, er, 'thing' about schools. :-)
Seriously, I am at a stage in my development where I am convinced
that any organization connected directly to the participation of
an insitution is toxic;

but as I say, I base this on my understanding sof N.A. schools, the
practice of age-segregation, state-sanctioned curriculum, all that
tedious 'standardization' investment... I'm generalizing. Not fair.
One of the ssumptions underlying our project here is that people who
have been "institutionalized" are in excellent positions to critique
the role of the insitution in their 'everyday' ... people who have been
maginalized by the interactions of institutions, more so. Gramscian,
to be sure.

>> as I say, I think there aspects of theatre in the "everyday" which are
>> much more intriguing than formal threatical productions.
>

>We are interested on studying "drama play" and "theater games" without
>formal theatrical productions objectives in school education...

How does this work - I mean, who are the people you work with,
and what kinds of activities are "drama play" and "theatre games" - I
mean,
I've heard of this, seen folks implement versions of the same,
and yet I am sceptical always of how manipulation sneaks in... one
of the keys to my own work is that the facilitators must involve themselves

in a way which challenges them, situates them in a
vulnerable position, much sa the position of the participants
to upset some of the linearity of
power - it's a shallow description of what we're doing - sorry. I'm rushed.
But please - tell me more about where you work and what you do..?
It's fascinating.

diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca