Re: Kerry Elliott <Kerry.Elliott who-is-at jcu.edu.au>

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:09:12 -0400

Hi Kerry--

Welcome to XMCA!

At 09:52 AM 10/10/97 +1000, you wrote:
>I am very interested in improving the
>lot of the school teacher with the help of the field of applied
>linguistics, by assisting teachers to develop a strong intellectual
>framework, which will help them to not only defend their position but
>improve the learning environment for the language learner.

Sounds very interesting to me. I wonder what do you mean by improving "the
learning environment for the language learner." My interest comes from 1)
being an ESL person (I'm an Russian immigrant) and 2) having interest in
the issue of so-called "optimal learning environment.'

>Few theorists
>or researchers inspire me but those I admire at the moment include Andrew
>and Ania Lian and Anne Freedman.

I'm not very knowledgeable in linguistic research but I always want to know
more. Can you elaborate on work of the people you mention, please?

Thanks,

Eugene
Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266