Re: instructional design

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:57:24 -0700

At 10:06 AM 10/9/97, Linnda R. Caporael wrote:

<snip>
>Any suggestions? Ideas?
>Linnda

On October 12 (this coming Sunday) a global teleconference is
taking place, "live", linking an extraordinary array of
countries/students/educators to celebrate "learning" globally. I am posting
here the info for two reasons
which may be of use to your inquiries about "reproducing" certain

technollgical assumptions (for instance, read carefully the language
practices of the annoucnement, where, for instance, there is a comparison
between linking Guam to the teleconference (for the first time) and
Columbus discovering Maerica - uh, can u say COLONIZATION?

also, though, I think it will be an opportunity for you to perhaps
connect with telecommunications communities in and outside the US, to explo=
re
engineering and science cyberprograms already in place.

The name of this conference, (L.E.A.R.N. Day) is about as inspired
as the trumpeting of colonization as a metaphor for global communication...
ain't it all so inneresting?

> [...]
>Saturday evening, October 11, in
> Europe; and early Sunday morning, October 12, in East
>Asia/New Zealand/Australia).
> Following opening ceremonies in Guam, the event will
> move
>each hour to a new showcased
> city, following this route: Japan, China, New Zealand,
>Australia, Singapore, India, United
> Arab Emirates, Turkey, South Africa, Egypt, Ukraine,
>Russia, Poland, Germany, France,
> United Kingdom, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico,
> Canada,
>and the United States. At each
> stop, a live, interactive conversation will occur
> between
>professors, educators, and others
> involved in distance learning in North America and
>Celebrants in the various global locations.
>
> The discussions will be broadcast in real time,
> worldwide,
>over the Internet. In some cases
> they will also be on video in real time. In all cases,
> the
>conversations will be available to those
> with audio capability. All conversations will be
>transcribed and simultaneously posted to the
> Franklin web site (www.bfranklin.edu). Also see
><www.bfranklin.edu/agenda.html>.
>
> The exhibition/conference will end in San Diego, where
> the
>closing ceremonies and press
> conference will be broadcast live over television and
>"streamed" over the Internet. The
> broadcast will be made by E.N.E.N., a subsidiary of
>Marshall Industries, a billion-dollar
> high-technology California company.
>
> Topics of discussion will include distance courses,
>Web-based instruction, electronic
> textbooks, English as a second language, course
> conversion
>techniques, and distance
> technology philosophy, methods, and evaluation.
>
> Guam was chosen as the opening site because, according
>Hibbs, "the planet begins the new
> day in Guam. Columbus Day was chosen because, like
>Columbus, we will 'open' brand new
> territories in what we predict will be a landmark
> event in
>education and Internet history."
>
> Hibbs added that L.E.A.R.N. DAY=A9 will separate itself
> from
>previous Net Days by a
> convincing demonstration that very desirable, very
>tangible, and very valuable 'things'--college
> courses and college degrees--are as accessible to
> those in
>Bombay as to those in Boston.
> Virtually anyone with access to a computer will have
> some
>interest in learning more about the
> thousands of courses offered.
>
> L.E.A.R.N. DAY=A9 is copyrighted by the Benjamin
> Franklin
>Institute of Global Education,
> and is both an acronym for Long Distance Education
> from
>America and a symbol that
> knowledge can be brilliantly transferred from anyplace

SO...get on board those "powerful electronic TRUCKS!!!" hoo-boy.

diane, who sometimes doesn't know whether to laugh or to cry.

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right"
(Ani Difranco)

diane celia hodges
faculty of graduate studies
centre for the study of curriculum and instruction
university of british columbia,
vancouver, british columbia, canada V6T 1Z4

(604) 253-4807
dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca