Sweeping the minefield (Re: Worries...)

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 12:58:26 +0200

At 23.13 -0300 97-10-06, Jo=E3o Batista Martins wrote:
> I think that to take these persons to discuss into the collectivity their
>perceptions, their posture, etc... is an situation much delicate, because
>the persons can feel discrimination, threat, exclusion, etc... and to lower
>their self-steem.

Yes, indeed, Jo=E3o.

Your story is an illustration of cases where the Zone of Proximal
Development is much like a minefield, full of explosive risks. One wrong
move and the Zone between you and this teacher vanishes: the communication
channel closes. It takes some delicate navigation indeed.

Also, this is one case where *I* would not hesitate to say that the good
direction of travel is for the teacher to come across to your "side of the
field" and get another perspective on the job of sweeping the patio. AND on
the fear of homosexuality.

I can see the difficulties.

Eva