Re: conflict in the ZPD

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Wed, 08 Oct 1997 16:43:05 -0400

Hi Ania and everybody---

At 03:01 PM 10/8/97 +1000, you wrote:
>I think that the issue of scaffolding and questions relating to this
>action as facilitating an act of revealing of whatever, reflect either:
>
>(a) a correct interpretation of Vygotsky and thus acceptance of the role
>of the senior as an expert and aceptance of the totalisating definition of
>an expert i.e. someone who knows the path (talking about push/pull)....

I do not think that expert knows "the path." Expert is simply right
"there." For example, going to American supermarket with my friend that
just came from Russia I found myself speaking in English with a salesperson
while my friend found himself not speaking and not understanding us.
Honestly, I do not have any idea how and even when I have learned English
enough to speak in supermarket. Moreover, I doubt that there is such thing
as "the path" or even "a path" implying a spatial metaphor for learning.
After spending two weeks with us, we all noticed that our friend found
himself over "there" in some situations with English-only speaking natives.
I pretty sure that we (i.e., Russian immigrants speaking English as well
as other people around) have contributed some way for him getting "there."
I'm afraid to say but there may be no "push" or "pull'...

What do you think?

Eugene
Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266