Re: pushpull/collusions of privilege

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 18:34:34 -0600

diane writes:
>I don't know if this responds to your question, but it is what I have in
>mind when I speak about interactions, and giving up control so that
>autonomy
>can emerge; and giving up power so that the outcomes
>are unpredictable - it's a measure of give and take, knwoing when
>to use privilege responsibly, and knowing when to step back and

>let things happen, let others take control of what might happen,
>and so on. Idealistic? Perhaps. I know I have much to learn.

>This has been too long a response, I think, but it's the only way
>I can think to ground the questions in something tangible and
>fleshy, ...

This does help a lot. I realize that a great portion of my success in
Academia is due to a highly developed skill for creating and
manipulating abstractions. My daytime identity as an elementary school
teacher is hard to hold onto when I begin to be a doctoral student.
Meshing the two identities is a continual and difficult process. It is
enheartening to hear how you manage to be in your communities.

Kathie

\\\\\\\\\\\\\You live you learn
\\\\\\\\\\\You love you learn
\\\\\\\\\You cry you learn
\\\\\\\You lose you learn
\\\\\You bleed you learn
\\\You scream you learn////////alanis morissette:jagged little pill

Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~kegoff/index.html