Re: pushpull/collusions of privilege

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:12:08 -0700

At 11:48 AM 10/3/97, Timothy Koschmann wrote:
>Diane wrote:
>>but I've gone on and on and on here. I suppose what I'm thinking here is
>>that there are no resolutions to these issues, rather, these are the kinds
>>of complexities which, I think, are helpful when they underwrite what we say
>>and do as academics, teachers, students, and hangers-on of
>>educational/school-based practice.
>>
>>they cannot be fixed by declaring we are all queer when only some of us get
>>bashed or banned from practice; and certainly we want to interact with
>>other in a way which opens possibilities for difference, but these
>>interactions are always going to be lacking a substantial materiality
>>needed for change, whether of heart, or policy, or practice;
>>
>>and this is not say that I'm a bitch who can't be reconciled with, ha ha,
>>but that the desire to fix problematic issues of privilege, or educational
>>legacies, can sometimes blur the details of what keeps these structures in
>>place in the first place.
>
>If exploring and discussing these issues obscures the details of what keeps
>these structures in place, then how are we to proceed?

Tim - I was going to refrain from "talking"to the list today - bizzy bizzy
bizzy - but I will say, briefly, that my idea was not to stop the
discussions, but rather to think about

how these discussions can be underlined with a necessary discomfort
concerning our privilege(s) as (institutionalized) academics,

as theorists who might talk over the material brutalities which are,
perhaps, those "fleshy differences" I referred to -

it is, as I said, the "desire to _fix_ (our positions of discomfort) which
start to blur the details of what keeps these structures in place"; the
seduction of resolutions without really probing what might be problematic;
that is, in response to your other que(e)ry about who

benefits from the "push/pull" perspective, an example of an attempt to
advance a languaging practice which might serve as a way "out" or "through"
an issue which

is not actually being complicated - it's not that there are no answers, but
that I'm not convinced we ask the right questions.

ta for now
diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right"
(Ani Difranco)

diane celia hodges
faculty of graduate studies
(604) 253-4807 centre for the study of curriculum and instruction
university of british columbia,
vancouver, british columbia, canada V6T 1Z4