Re: pushpull/collusions of privilege

Timothy Koschmann (tdk who-is-at cs.colorado.edu)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 11:48:28 -0600

Diane wrote:
>but I've gone on and on and on here. I suppose what I'm thinking here is
>that there are no resolutions to these issues, rather, these are the kinds
>of complexities which, I think, are helpful when they underwrite what we say
>and do as academics, teachers, students, and hangers-on of
>educational/school-based practice.
>
>they cannot be fixed by declaring we are all queer when only some of us get
>bashed or banned from practice; and certainly we want to interact with
>other in a way which opens possibilities for difference, but these
>interactions are always going to be lacking a substantial materiality
>needed for change, whether of heart, or policy, or practice;
>
>and this is not say that I'm a bitch who can't be reconciled with, ha ha,
>but that the desire to fix problematic issues of privilege, or educational
>legacies, can sometimes blur the details of what keeps these structures in
>place in the first place.

If exploring and discussing these issues obscures the details of what keeps
these structures in place, then how are we to proceed?

>It is a fabulously interesting dicussion, of course, but might pertain more
>to how we understand Melanie's situations with Korean students,
>or the (dangerous) question of ideologies and adolescence (a culturally
>fictive category in-itself), and the question of who benefits from a
>"push/pull" perspective, and so on...

Do you have a theory about *who* does benefit from a "push/pull"
perspective? I think that is a very interesting question.

The thrust of your comments seems to be that these academic discussions
about what could and should be done about education are without purpose.