Re: Eugene, Ideologies

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:42:37 -0400

Hi Tomazs--

At 01:33 AM 10/2/97 +-100, you wrote:
>Hi Eugene,
>
>Thanks for your comments about definition of "ideology". To construct this
definition is actually my trouble. I'm not sure if "this" what I want to
define should be named "ideology". So I'm open for such suggestion like
Rommetveit's prolepsis. If you could to sand me some bibliographical
information about Rommetveit's works on this topic, I will be very pleased.

Here is my list of Rommetveit references (some people may suggest more on
the topic of prolepsis). Although I do not know any of his papers directly
discussing late adolescence.

Rommetveit, R. (1976). On Piagetian cognitive operations, semantic
competence and message structure in adult-child communication. In I.
Markova (Ed.), The social context of language. London, UK: Wiley.
Rommetveit, R. (1979). On the architecture of intersubjectivity. In R.
Rommetveit & R. M. Blaker (Eds.), Studies of language, thought, and verbal
communication (pp.147-161). New York, NY: Academic Press.
Rommetveit, R. (1985). Language acquisition as increasing linguistic
structuring of experience and symbolic behavior control. In J. V. Wertsch
(Ed.), Culture, communication, and cognition: Vygotskian perspectives.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Rommetveit, R. (1992). Outlines of a dialogically based social-cognitive
approach to human cognition and communication. In A. H. Wold (Ed.), The
dialogical alternative: Towards a theory of language and mind. Stockholm:
Scandinavian Press.

I'd also recommend you to check Erik Erikson's 1968/94 book "Identity:
Youth and crisis"(New York: Norton) where he discussed specificity and
necessity for some (late?) adolescents to engage in developing "global"
ideologies.

You may also contact Bill Penuel (bpenuel who-is-at MindSpring.COM) and check recent
writings by Jim Wertsch (e.g., a paper in a recent issue of Culture and
Psychology). I think that Jim does a research on adolescents in Russia and
Estonia.

Good luck,

Eugene
Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266