Re: non-institutionalized participation

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:46:30 -0400

Hi Mike--

That is OK. You are a creator of the 5thD. Actually, I didn't get
initially that Judy referred to XMCA while talking about Wizard. I agree
with you that the 5thD should be discuss within its own context because it
is very unique and quit different from XMCA, especially, with regard to the
notions of design and leadership. In my view, XMCA has extremely shared
and emergent ownership by the participants on almost all levels of the
community practice, while the 5thDs (probably, in all their varieties)
require constant leadership attention.

Sorry for causing you to be uncomfortable, it was not by intention but by
misunderstanding.

Eugene

At 03:29 PM 9/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Eugene-- I really feel uncomfortable discussing the 5thD in the context
>of XMCA. They exist in great varieties. The best description of the
>ideas behind the 5thD and its implementation up to about 1994 exist
>in Cultural Psychology. Somehow discussion of the book stopped before
>folks got that far and perhaps if there is interest we could
>discuss various issues concerning the notion of design experiments,
>combining theory and practice, etc. there.
>
>mike

Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266