Re: a bit about myself

SERPELL (SERPELL who-is-at UMBC2.UMBC.EDU)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:00:31 -0500 (EST)

Anita, welcome to XMCA.

Your involvement in the admission of so-called "underprepared" students
to the post-apartheid South African universities should afford you many
opportunities to reflect on the enduring practical relevance of the
somewhat disreputable topic of intelligence and aptitude testing across
cultures. I wonder if there is some insightful new writing taking place
around this topic in the new South African psychology community ?
I am teaching a course on intelligence and culture this semester, and
concurrently collecting materials to review for a chapter I have agreed
to write on the topic by the end of the year.

Robert Serpell Telephone: (410)455-2417
Psychology Department (410)455-2567
University of Maryland Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle,
Baltimore, MD 21250 Fax: (410)455-1055
USA
INTERNET: Serpell who-is-at UMBC2.UMBC.edu

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:40:00 SAST-2
From: Anita Craig <ACRAIG who-is-at education.uct.ac.za>
Subject: a bit about myself

thanks peggy for your last message and yes i too am please to be on
the list. i am interested in the various constraints on the learning-
teaching situation, e.g. the conditions of people's lives, overlearned
cognitive repertoires, the demands of tasks (e.g. epistemic rules) and
yes, 'culture' too. i have completed in p.hd on the relationship
between cognition and culture early eighties which is when i came
into contact with cole and wertzsch's work (apart from piaget,
pascual-leone & vygotsky). more recenlty my obsession with the
realisation that we are dealing with a bankrupt conception of the
person in social studies drove me to undertake and complete a
doctorate in philosphy on a conception of ourselves. so, i am a bit
of a mixed bag! i have done quite a bit of work on what we call
'underprepared students' in south africa, those who were deliberately
deneid adequate learning opportunities under apartheid and who
want/deserve access to universities and other post-school
institutions (all published locally). i visited the lchc (san diego)
in 1984 when south africans were not meant to be seen but i still did
manage to meet a very intereting guy from the labortory, diaz?.

Anita Craig School of Education
Home: PO Box 196 Middle Campus, UCT
St James 7946 Rondebosch 7700
gonzo who-is-at iafrica.com South Africa