Re: 18th Brumaire quote

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 22:59:26 +0200

At 10.29 -0700 97-09-06, Douglas Williams wrote:
>It sounds more or less the same, up until tradition is
>characterized through the "alp" metaphor. I am being lazy and not hunting
>up my Marx/Engels compilation, but I am positive that the usual translation
>has been tradition weighing like a "nightmare" on the brains of the living.

Well the Alps are 'die Alpen', and 'ein Alp' is a nightmare: one of the
ghastly, ones where you wake up as if you had been ridden by something
heavy. That was what my memory said and my dictionary confirmed. So if not
Marx, then the German language spins connotations between material enormity
and oppressive experiences in the realm of sleep.

Eva