Re: RRP

James Robert Martin (jmartin who-is-at mail.usyd.edu.au)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:10:40 +1000 (EST)

Chuck, Mike

This idea of positive critical theory really struck a chord with me. I've
been anxious over the years about how negative critical theory can be,
always focussing on discourse in the service of power - its use to
dominate and control. In my education work their role has often seemed to
be one of saying - stop, you're making things worse, you're just
reinforcing hegemonic discourses... but if I say, okay, well, what are the
alternatives... where are your descriptions of positive change... they
don't seem able to respond. Is there some kind of pathology here... why
look only at the negative? I guess it is more comfortable in some respect
to be able to say smugly 'I told you so'... ??? I think what we need is a
lot more celebratory discourse analysis!

Jim Martin