BODIES of our/their own?

Charles Bazerman (bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 10:00:51 -0700 (PDT)

Jay,
It is curious as to how your discussion aimed at
decreasing the importance of those phenomena we experience as mind
and creating symmetry among all actants has replicated the mind-body split
and then chosen our minds as the preferred source of knowledge. Latour
got to the equality of actants by insisting on the corporeality of things
like speed bumps and heavy key rings, or by rather pointing out how the
speed bumps and key rings insist on their own coporeality and thereby
influence our behavior. You seem to be heading in a different direction.

At the risk of incoherence, I will repeat an argument I made a
dozen years ago, but which seemed not to be noticed in the epistemology
wars which preceded the science wars.

Usefulness, if it is constantly tested from many angles against an
uncooperative nature, is in the long run much more than a pragmatic
criterion. (Physicists Reading Physics, 1985)

In Shaping Written Knowledge (1988) I then go on to develop the notion of
reliably reconstitutable phenomena. This does not require that properties
are the same for all ways of observing, but only that phenomena (that is
our recognition, ostention, observation and accounts of phenomena) become
more robust the more kinds of activities these epistemic recognitions are
useful for. That is, a recognition and account of a phenomenon becomes
more meaningful and more reliable the more occasions and variety of
occasions we have for usefully noting and invoking it. Further such
robustness suggests the usefulness of looking for the phenomena on other
kinds of occasions and attempting to invoke our account. Reliable
reconstitutability means that phenomena are there every time we look for
them (that is constitute them as experiencable human knowledge) in the
appropriate ways. Garfinkel, I am told, described knowledge as
instructions for locating phenomena, just as an address serve as
instructions for finding a house. To speak to your concern about aether,
while we do have reliable directions for visiting those things we call
atomic nuclei (at least in the ways which we count as evidence of 'seeing
and recognizing' nuclei) we do not have a reliable way of visiting what we
call aether. Nobody seems to live at that address, indeed it appears to be
a false address, aolthough future alternative maps might locate where it
is hiding and how we could get there to notiooce it.
This does not lead to absolute claims about the way things ARE,
but does lead to robustly reliable claims about WHAT WE CAN TREAT THINGS
AS BEING in increasing ranges of activities.

Cheers,
Chuck