Re: questions re: inclusion classroom

Barbara J Smith (bjsmith who-is-at oise.utoronto.ca)
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:03:08 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mary Beth,
I am very interested in promoting inclusive classrooms. I have come to
believe that there will always be some students who will be reluctant to
speak out (half-baked or otherwise) based on their understanding of where
they sit in some social/intellectual hierarchy within the group. For this
reason, I believe teachers need to address deliberate ways to change this
implicit structure. Based on my research into peer teaching, I have
discovered that some students who would be relatively silent within their
own classroom community gain a deeper understanding of subject matter as
well as teaching and learning when they are trusted with the
responsibility of teaching younger students in other classroom
communities. These "other" students tend to accept them as
"knowledgeable" at first simply because they are older -- thus giving a
peer teacher (who might be perceiving themselves as less able in their
own classroom community) valuable opportunities to discover the strength
within themselves. My sense is that some people need to help others
before they can help themselves -- and the current structure of
schools makes such experiences difficult to operationalize. Perhaps these
young people need to find a way to see that their ideas and suggestions
would make a meaningful contribution -- but it might be too much of a
leap for them in the context of implicit norms established amongst their
peers.

Inspired by your quest for inclusion!

Barb Smith
OISE-UT
e-mail: bjsmith who-is-at oise.utoronto.ca