Re: beauty contests

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at together.cudenver.edu)
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 14:30:48 -0600

Jay Lemke writes:
>Angel is conflicted over the issue of whether the researcher's
>status as privileged and middle-class leads to illegitimate bias
>against avenues of upward mobility for working-class women.

Reading Angel's paper evoked so many thoughts and emotions that I was
uncertain how to respond. This clip from Jay's response gave me one
window into the discussion. I see (and share) Angel's sense of turmoil
over the issue of judgement. As a researcher standing outside a social
system (phenomenology notwithstanding) in order to observe it, I find
it difficult to accept that what I see as exploitative, demeaning, or
unhealthy, is so often considered acceptable and even desirable by
those who seem to me (and others standing outside the system) to be
victims. Do we really intend for our research/information to empower
those individuals enmeshed within the system? Are we trying to change
the system? Or are we constructing information that will be useful only
to those outside the system?

Katherine Goff