Re: new member

vera p john-steiner (vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:17:01 -0600 (MDT)

Dear Matvey,
I am interested in the systems theory that you rely upon in your
attempts to make connections with CHAT. We have been looking at comple-
xity theory, (for instance, as described by the physicist M. Gell-Man.
and popularized by science writer James Gleick.) Let me know whether
these are among your references, or whether you have been using
the more traditional systems theory like Bertallenfy (I forgot
the spelling.)
Vera

On
Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Carnegie Corporation wrote:

> >From sokolovs who-is-at uconnvm.uconn.edu Fri Jul 26 15:15:23 1996
> Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
> To: Carnegie Corporation <xfamily who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
> >From: sokolovs who-is-at uconnvm.uconn.edu (Matvey Sokolovsky)
> Subject: self description
>
> HI:
>
> My name is Matvey Sokolovsky.
>
> I am a doctoral student in the School of Family Studies at the University of
> Connecticut. I pursue a degree in Family and Marriage Therapy.
>
> I came to the US from Moscow, where I graduated from the Department of
> Psychology of Moscow State University, and this determined my interest in
> Vygotsky theory. And of course, writing about Vygotsky theory, practically
> unknown in our department, was the easiest way to submit final papers on time.
>
> My interests are around application of Vygotsky theory to adult development.
> Specifically, I try to interpret social life as a social situation of
> development. I focus on socially distributed systems of meanings, and social
> processes that create meanings. Intersection of systems theory with
> sociocultural theory is a geographical description of my interests.
>
> As a highly fashion-following person (joke) I'm also interested in
> epistemological and ontological issues (not a joke) of modern science.
> However, I'm not positive whether ontological issues are a joke, and my
> interest is not; or my interest is a joke, and ontological issues are not.
>
> With a hope to meet many of you
>

> Matvey Sokolovsky.
> Matvey Sokolovsky

Vera P. John-Steiner
Department of Linguistics
Humanities Bldg. 526
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
Internet: vygotsky who-is-at triton.unm.edu