Re: Lewin meeting

Ana M. Shane (pshane who-is-at andromeda.rutgers.edu)
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:32:46 -0400

Mike, and others who have responded to the UCLA Lewin Conference Program,

thanks for the interest. Lewin's ideas seem to me very very relevant for
CHAT - because he was stressing the situatedness of the individual and
interaction between person and her/his socio-cuiltural environment in a
particular historical point in time. It is also known today that Lewin was
acquainted with the Moscow group: Vygotsky, Luria, Davidov and others and
that they had very lively discussions on several occasions. Lewin even
visited Moscow in 1933 and stayed at Vygotsky's home for several weeks.
Vygotsky gave a very detailed critique of Lewin's ideas in his "Language and
Thought"...

I can't answer the question about putting together a special issue of Mind,
Culture and Activity just now. I would like to consult with the two other
co-chairs of the program committee: Albert Pepitone and Robert Kleiner. I do
think, however, that it would be a very interesting task and that some
aspects of the Field Theory fill in some gaps in CHAT.

Ana

At 07:29 AM 8/7/96 -0700, you wrote:

>That looks like a terrifically interesting meeting at UCLA, Ana.
>A way of brining Lewin's ideas into xmca discourse would be very
>nice. Do you suppose that you could put together a special
>issue of Mind, Culture, and Activity on the basis of a selection
>of those talks?
>
>Unfortunately, I will be in Europe at the time of the meeting or
>I would certainly be there.
>mike
>Michael Cole
>Communication Department and Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition
>MAAC 517 Second Floor, Q-092
>University of California, La Jolla, California, 92093
>Phone (619) 534-4590
>Fax (619) 5347746

Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane

151 W. Tulpehocken St. Office of Mental Health and
Philadelphia, PA 19144 Mental Retardation
(215) 843-2909 [voice] 1101 Market St. 7th Floor
(215) 843-2288 [fax] Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 685-4767 [v]
(215) 685-5581 [fax]

pshane who-is-at andromeda.rutgers.edu
anchi who-is-at geocities.com