Re: permission to use summary of xmca discussion

=?iso-8859-1?Q?JO=C3O?= BATISTA MARTINS (jbmartin who-is-at sercomtel.com.br)
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:19:05 -0300

Ken and XMCA-ers

I read various mails the expression whole language. I dont know this
theory. Somebody may explain it to me? (the critics, the principes,
references, etc...)

Thanks, Jo=E3o

At 08:24 18/07/1996 -0700, you wrote:
>Dot Stirckland can quote me anytime she chooses.
>
>Incidentally I've sent her a copy of an extensive critique of the 1994 NAEP
>(National Assessment of Educational Progress) reports which only recently=
=20
>become available. They show that key aspects of whole language correlate
>pocitively with teast scores on the NAEP. Theses aspects are silent=20
>reading and choosing their own reading in school, use of trade books=20
>rather than basals and reading at home for fun. Also Books read outside of
>school has a positive relationship to scores. Nothing shows any negative=20
>effects of whole language. In the 1992 NAEP study there was a question on=
=20
>preferred methods . In that year kids in rooms where teachers ssaid they=20
>made heavy use of phonics did more poorly than average and kids in rooms=20
>where teacherssaid they made moderate to heavy use of whole language did
>better than average.
>
>Some other facts from the NAEP reports: 86% of California teachers said=20
>they have mor than 25 kids in their classes. That contrasts with Maine=20
>where 95% have less than 25 and Texas where 100% report under 25.=20
>California spends less than $5000 PER pupil comparable to much poorer=20
>states and half of what New York, New Jersey, and other big states spend.
>
>Also interesting is that a small percent of California teachers have BA's
>in edccation and only 29% have Masters degrees (as compare to 84% in=20
>Indiana and 82% in Kentucky),=20
>Finally the four border states- California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas
>each have high absentee rates (25% or higher). Maine, Wisconsin and North=
=20
>Dakota- the three states with the highest NAEP mean scores have less than=
=20
>5% absenteeisn each.
>
>For those surprised to see Ken Goodman spouting statistics and test means=
=20
>I agree there are oother people better qualified to do so- but somebody=20
>had to do it. I get so weary of reporters telling me about the abysmal=20
>scores in Californis due to whole language.
>Ken Goodman

JOAO BATISTA MARTINS
jbmartin who-is-at sercomtel.com.br
UNIVERSIDADE ESTADUAL DE LONDRINA