unorthodox CHAT & xmca initiatives

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:43:07 -0400

I am forwarding a message I sent by mistake to Mike's
personal e-mail -- it's addressed to all you xmca-ers.

>Hi, Mike. Your message led me to recall the exchange in which
>I invoked someone more of a CHAT expert than me. I did that
>when bowing out of a leadership role in putting
>together the _MCA_ issue you suggested on morality & CHAT.
>So I am revisiting my reasons for bowing out, while
>rethinking my notions about expertise.
>
>I really do hope the morality theme is pursued, so if the flame ever
>fizzled, the following message can be taken as kindling.
>Has anyone else expressed interest in organizing the effort?
>I'd like to help in whatever way I can.
>
>-- Mike initially suggested an _MCA_ issue on "racism, morality" from
>a CHAT perspective, following in the wake of related threads on
>institutional racism; the militias. And he invited an international
>treatment, calling on Ana, Arne, Eugene, etc. Ana responded to the
>invitation with several quite powerful messages on the effects of &
>is more than my memory & imagination -- It's a question of scale.
>Poverty I know; a war zone I don't... I tried to imagine an issue
>that juxtaposed questions of "fairness in institutional practices"
>to those of genocide, and couldn't, & not because I don't see the relation.
>
>Ana's idea, to study "the formation of extreme value systems" from a
>CHAT perspective, with some attention to resolutions & interventions,
>could be realized through several foci, no doubt. But would any one of
>them be given its due? I thought, someone who has more international
>experience than I, someone who has participated in international
>conferences, who has had the opportunity to think through CHAT on issues
>as they're played out in different cultures, would be more suited than
>I to pull this one together, conceptually.
>
>From my perspective, CHAT is proving extremely useful to me as an
>educator, in rethinking virtually all classroom-based concerns. But the
>profoundly interesting and compelling questions about morality that
>insist on our attention so much of the time on this list seem problematic
>for CHAT. Leont'ev's notion of the IDEAL is somewhere at the crux of
>the problem, but I'm still unfamiliar with his discussion; I just
>xeroxed all of _Activity, Cons'ness, & Personality_ which I had to
>return to the library. I haven't read it yet.
>
>I appreciate Mike's dictum, that everyone on the list is invited to
>form concepts and to contribute material to the formation of other
>people's concepts; it is behind much of what is wonderful about this
>list. But I can't agree that no one is an expert. We are all more or
>less expert on any number of different dimensions. The question is
>how we use our expertise - to wield power or to engage in dialog;
>to be "in the know" or to get better at learning how others see;
>to insist on our own expertise or to recognize various kinds of
>expertise and to trade....
>
>CHAT may be an impulse, but I'll know more about where that
>impulse takes me & where I and other CHATTERs have yet to go by
> [...]

Graduate School of Education Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
10 Seminary Place New Brunswick, NJ 08903

Wise men [sic] see outlines, therefore they draw them - Wm. Blake