Re: Husserl, est-il un chat?

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:33:22 +0100

At 20.56 96-06-26, Piotr Szybek wrote:
>I am really more interested in discussing with CHAT followers how they
>(or maybe: we, meaning they and me) look on "grounding knowledge (situating=
it)
>in bodily experiences". This is something obsessing me. As Mike
>mentioned, it has to do with "headaches" - and by this I mean
>something expressed in a scene in Bulgakov's novel "Master and
>Margarita":
>
> Pilate asks a detainee:
>"Why do you talk of truth, you hobo? What do you know of it? Well -
>what is truth?" and gets the answer "The truth is that you right now
>have a headache".
>
>Truth is then, that somebody's (an-other human's - or maybe not only
>human's?) pain is there, for me. The clincher would be that
>_somebody's_ headache
> becomes _my_ headache,

So the link may be WHICH body we are talking about. Maxine Sheets-Johnston
suggests that Maurice Merleau-Ponty was writing about "the wrong body" -- a
percieving, contemplating body. As far as I understand Emmanuel L=E9vinas he
wrote about the vulnerable, worrying, responding-to-others, ACTIVE body.
But then I have only secondary knowledge of L=E9vinas. Moreover, this
secondary knowledge comes mostly from reading papers by Piotr Szybek, on
whose badge there is not even a PhD: it reads "Biology Teacher"... but he
sure writes with a voice that is authoritative not only by association with
the Names.

Anyway, I think this ACTIVE body could be the link between future CHAT and
future phenomenology, provided that it is not a glorified body, the body of
a saint, but one for-the-better-and-worse.

Eva