Re: MCA and Burke's parlor

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:37:24 +0100

At 09.01 96-06-25, Eugene Matusov wrote about:

>the following principles for successful joining of play in
>white middle class kindergarten children taken from Garvey (1984):
>
>"The Don't's:
>-- don't ask questions for information (if you can't tell what's going on,
>you shouldn't be bothering those who do);
>-- don't mention yourself or state your feelings about the group or its
>activity (they're not interested at the moment);
>-- don't disagree or criticize the proceedings (you have no right to do so,
>since you're an outsider).
>The Do's:
>-- be sure you understand the group's frame of reference, or focus (are they
>playing house?);
>-- understand the participation structure of the activity;
>-- slip into the ongoing activity by making some relevant comment or begin
>to act in concert with the others as if you actually were a knowledgeable
>member of the group;
>-- hold off on making suggestions or attempting to redirect until you are
>well into the group (pp. 164-165)

Doesn't it sound like a manual for the well-behaved young lady, too?

It also sounds very much as if this was what I meant to say to Kathie. I
don't think it was. What the above manual for good behaviour obliterates is
the self-assured alternative:

-- don't ask questions, (you know what should be going on, don't you?)
-- don't start by announcing yourself as powerless (then you will be).
-- don't act like an outsider (how could you have an influence that way?)

-- just do your thing without worrying so much in advance about what
others may think (this thing is, after all what you really care about)
-- participate in structuring the activity as you would have it (get the floor
and pull in others)
-- step in relying fully on your personal knowledgeability, take the activity
to where you stand on firm ground, to where your interests are. (that's why
you are here, isn't it)
-- be assured that there will be others who find you bringing the discussion
to an interesting place.

Risky? Yes of course.
Do I follow this myself? Well... probably not. I just got so fed up with
the manual when I saw it so nicely served by Eugene (and cooked by
Garvey...)

Eva