Re: Progessivism

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu)
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:53:13 -0700

Thanks, Michael, for the extremely interesting quote:
At 12:17 PM 6/22/96 -0500, HDCS6 who-is-at jetson.uh.edu wrote:

>"In the thirties, when they asked Ittussaarsuaq - who as a child had
>wandered with her tribe and kinfolf across Ellesmere Island to
>Grland during the migration when Canadian Inuit has their first
>contact in seven hundred years with the Inuit of North Greenland -
>when they asked her, an eighty-five year old woman who had experienced
>the entire modern colonization process, moving from the Stone Age
>to the radio, how life was now, compared to the past, she said without
>hesitation, "Better - the Inuit very rarely die of hunger nowadays."
>
>From _Smilla's Sense of Snow_ by Peter Hoeg.

However, I'm almost sure that if the author would talk with the woman longer
he would learn more complex picture and more ambivalent feelings.

Eugene Matusov
-------
Eugene Matusov
Psychology Department
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
office (408) 459-5180
fax (415) 493-8917
e-mail: ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu
http://www2.ucsc.edu/people/ematusov