Re: brys who-is-at unixg.ubc.ca (Mary Bryson)

Arne Raeithel (raeithel who-is-at informatik.uni-hamburg.de)
Sun, 26 May 1996 14:30:12 +0200

Dear Mary !

Welcome back. I remember vividly your last exit off the xfamily stage,
and of course also the bitter tasting joke/cookie that the two of you
threw into the arena: You saw many males ritually dancing around a
mutilated victim (i.e. a theme of cultural studies interest), talking
to one another about their socio-syncratic intercourse "on", "about",
and "around" this subject, being oblivious to the hurts and violences
thereby done to others, who are at different positions with regard
to the same subject, possibly even being a member of it/her/those.

You and Suzanne wrote something like:
This reads like a gang rape incident...

Ach, du *mein* Schreck, da ham sie ja recht ! -- was what I thought
at the moment of reading. A slapping to be taken as a wake-up into
higher consciousness, kind of koan, Zen Master. Nonono... These
are Women...

Been telling the story ever since, as a very pointed example for the
powers of the Internet.

Cheers from another sphere of minorities:

Arne.

--- appending a pointed version of your intro -------
for the information of my German Home List
--- -------------------------------------------------

At 09:10 25.5.1996, Mary Bryson wrote in part:
>1. I am a faculty member in Education at the UBC ...
>where normal human rights provisions do not apply.
>This is a true story.

>2. Since I successfully fought for spousal benefits ... I have been
>subjected to ... discrimination-- ... most especially by those
>identified as "feminists" who are also white and "straight".
>This is a true story.

>3. I work on issues of "inclusion"-- albeit a radical notion of inclusion.
>The systematic production of deviance in/by pedagogy is my aim-- the
>permanent distortion of "the normal". I am particularly interested in the
>roles played by new technologies in the production, or distortion of "the
>normal" and related educational implications. So I do work that is
>multi-disciplinary and have recently tried video production as an
>alternative to academic writing-- a welcome change.
>
>I have a great Dane who 5 weeks ago gave birth to 9 just like her-- eight
>boys and one girl.
>So much for "gender equity"

--- The full text is sent out to any new member of the xmca ---
--- send "subscribe xmca" to xmca-request who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu ---
--- and follow the instructions coming up after you did that. ---

Dr. Arne Raeithel Verlag der Zeichenschmiede
.. 0 1 2 3 .. ----------------- n.e.t.z Softwarepartner
: \ / \ / \ / : Neuhimmel Consulting
: A B C : 040 420 20 66 Fon/Fon/Fon
: | | | : Isestrasse 7 040 420 91 24 Fax/Fon/Mdm
: | | . : D - 20144 Hamburg +49 40 ^ [inter-tel prefix]
. . -.- --- . araei who-is-at rrz.uni-hamburg.de
. . . . . . . . Fed. Rep. Germany raeithel who-is-at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
arne_raeithel who-is-at magicvillage.de
100754.470 who-is-at compuserve.com