Re: cultural change

Pam (PAS94003 who-is-at UConnVM.UConn.Edu)
Wed, 15 May 96 13:22:02 EDT

Jay wrote:

>systems have a way of giving rise to events that force them to
>change. This is dynamics, or dialectics of history. It is perhaps

Do you see culture as a system? If so, we really don't agree.
I don't see culture as a system of rules for regulating behavior
that must adjust to external forces. It is much more than that.
It is, to me, the way that our interactions with others in
our culture have shaped our thinking. I think that this view
is pretty far from a systems perspective on culture.
Furthermore, I am confused about how you see this definition of
culture as not allowing for culture change. Could you clear this
up for me?

-Pam

PAM SCHULZE
PAS94003 who-is-at UCONN.EDU