Re: dialectics and CHAT

vera p john-steiner (vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu)
Sat, 11 May 1996 21:50:45 -0600 (MDT)

Jay,

Basically, the reviewers wanted us (my co-author is Holbrook Mahn,
a terrific graduate student here at UNM) to delete our section
on dialectics and focus on educational implications of CHAT. On
the surface that seems like an understandable request, but
in reality, it meant leaving out some of the most important features
of our framework when contrasting it with social constructivism. The
latter was part of our task.

I am not sure that I see it as censuring, but more as a deep unease with
what one discussant refered to as "Soviet socio-cultural theory."

Thanks for asking,
Vera

Thu, 9 May 1996, Jay Lemke wrote:

> If Vera is willing to share them with us, I would be very
> interested to know what specific objections might have been
> made by critics to an account of Ilyenkov, or any approach
> based on dialectics, contradictions, etc. in her article for
> _Educational Psychologist_.
>
> I certainly congratulate her and her colleagues for working
> through the difficult process of passing the intellectual
> censors who seem more interested in keeping new ideas out
> of the community than inviting them in. I don't know what
> they can be thinking, but I'd at least like to hear what
> they're saying! JAY.
>

> JAY LEMKE.
> City University of New York.
> BITNET: JLLBC who-is-at CUNYVM
> INTERNET: JLLBC who-is-at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Vera P. John-Steiner
Department of Linguistics
Humanities Bldg. 526
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
Internet: vygotsky who-is-at triton.unm.edu