Re: Narratives

vera p john-steiner (vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu)
Sun, 5 May 1996 17:49:29 -0600 (MDT)

Michael,
Narratives are extremely important in Southwestern Native communities
as they are, indeed, story telling cultures. And, I think, they are
quite open to research approaches,
Vera
On Fri, 3 May 1996 HDCS6 who-is-at Jetson.UH.EDU
wrote:

> I don't know much about narratives, but it seems to me that narratives
> will always, in the end, predominate in story telling cultures (are all
> cultures story telling cultures?) because no matter how important a
> form of discourse may be at the moment, when it gets replayed by
> the story tellers as cultural artefact, it gets replayed as narrative.
> It seems to me that this is a brutal methodological problem for
> researchers. You attempt to describe non-narrative practices, but
> because all researchers are, to one degree or another story tellers,
> the description is always a narrative. I think I could go on forever
> like this, so I think I'm going to stop my story now.
>
> Michael Glassman
> University of Houston

Vera P. John-Steiner
Department of Linguistics
Humanities Bldg. 526
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131
(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
Internet: vygotsky who-is-at triton.unm.edu