Re: power vs freedom in education

Robin Harwood (HARWOOD who-is-at UConnVM.UConn.Edu)
Fri, 26 Apr 96 14:54:48 EDT

Betty writes:
>I would not label a classroom where children are allowed to run free,
>completely unfettered and undirected *constructivist*. I would call that
>chaos.

Betty, I think we are coming from entirely different places in our
analyses, and that can make for misperceptions of the other's
position. My critique is cultural (however one defines that),
and I see the child-centeredness of today as being one manifestation
of a cultural emphasis on individualism. Whether that's good or bad,
chaotic or nonchaotic, constructivist or nonconstructivist,
maturational or nonmaturational was really not my point. I do
consider myself a social constructionist who is primarily interested
in the socioemotional development of children. I am interested in
modes of childrearing as they reflect our cultural constructions
of the Good.

Robin