Re: Foucault's Eurocentrism

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:39:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Arne Raeithel wrote:

> Oh, Jay, you still go about that business of Euro-Bashing, it seems.
> As if these institutions weren't developed elsewhere and elsewhen.
> Schools, armies, manufacture shops, temples, places for the mad
> all unknown before 1400 in Asia, America, Africa ?? How about
> looking into Chinese history for exquisite bureaucratic cruelty ??

Arne, don't you think that to get an understanding about
institutional cruelty that we had best look at our own institutions?
Institutions that we help perpetuate? And by knowing about our own
institutions we can then apply pressure points, look for the breaks and
openings, so that systemic change can happen that perhaps alleviates the
'exquisite bureaucratic cruelty'? That is, at least, what I as an
ordinary school teacher hope to support.

Phillip

pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu