Re: English translations on the internet

virtanen (hvirtane who-is-at cc.jyu.fi)
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 16:12:49 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Jay Lemke wrote:

> It
> is evidently very costly to do kanji without, say, Windows 95J
> (the Japanese version). Of course if you have Windows 95J,
> all the menus and commands and help files are in Japanese. But
> this is quite unnecessary, and there are a few programs that
> mix English and Japanese capabilities, but still mainly need
> to run on operating systems not available except in Japan, though
> made by US companies to run on US-made computers!
>
> I do not know how the WEB will be affected by all this.
>
> Are there xmca-ers out there who know more about these issues?
>
> JAY.
>

> JAY LEMKE.
> City University of New York.
> BITNET: JLLBC who-is-at CUNYVM
> INTERNET: JLLBC who-is-at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Hi,

there are some good products. Actually (ibm-based) pc:s have been almost
ten years behind Mackintosh-machines to develop programs, which can mix
chinese-based characters (like chinese, korean and japanese) with latin
letters. Some Mac-programs did that well already in the middle of 80's.
But later some shareware-programs appeared for pc:s as well. I like most a
simple dos-program called Nanjing-Star. (You can find it in 'the web' by
using 'netsearch for example.) There are also some products to help the
popular web-broser Netscape to read chinese-based characters. One
well-working program is 'Unionway'. You can find it 'easily' by using
'netsearch'. 'Unionway' works with the english version of win3.1.

virtanen
hvirtane who-is-at tukki.jyu.fi