Liebe Amerikaner (was Re: English on the internet)

Arne Raeithel (raeithel who-is-at informatik.uni-hamburg.de)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 01:50:41 +0200

Liebe Amerikaner,

um Euch mal einen Eindruck davon zu geben, wie es sich liest, wenn
man nur halb oder gar nicht derjenigen Sprache m=E4chtig ist, die man
da gerade vor sich hat: darum schreibe ich diese Einleitung in deutsch.

One of my colleagues here, Joern Scheer from Giessen, opened his
lecture to the latest International Congress for Personal Construct
Psychology <somewhere in Australia> with a similar foreign looking or
sounding paragraph.

In the following I quote mechanically from the past flurry of xmca
mails. Notice, please, the curious mixture of temporal signs in the
date-and-time stamps that my Mac-Eudora (a mailing program) automatically
produces (in world time there is a strict temporal order -- under the=20
condition, that is, that everybody has set her/his system clock with
the necessary caution):=20

At 14:46 17.4.1996, Alfred Lang wrote:
>In my view, participating in a community where the basic vehicle of
>interacting is not one's primary "nature" -- English language as a second
>language in my case -- is a privilege much more than a burden.=20

Well, Alfred, *I* think it is a very heavy privilege to bear on one's
shoulders if one hasn't the time slots necessary for diving into that
other way of expressing oneself. Not every academic tradition like the
ones of the small countries up north or right in the rich western core=20
of Europe have the soil for their Studenteng=E4rten to grow the sort of
scientists/scholars for whom modern latin is a second skin.

And, on conferences, there are sooo many unfeeling Americans these
days, talking like -- pick your favorite hi-speed metaphor here --
in their native US dialect...

And so on.

Sure, Jay is right about English being one of the best ways to
write/speak as a foreigner. But behind language is difference of=20
culture. And I am thinking these days=20
that Americans aren't Europeans anymore.=20
Remember my last one on that, Jay ?

Nevertheless, I enjoy reading the xmca English quite a lot.

ARa.

Dr. Arne Raeithel Verlag der Zeichenschmiede
.. 0 1 2 3 .. ----------------- n.e.t.z Softwarepartner
: \ / \ / \ / : Neuhimmel Consulting
: A B C : 040 420 20 66 Fon/Fon/Fon
: | | | : Isestrasse 7 040 420 91 24 Fax/Fon/Mdm
: | | . : D - 20144 Hamburg +49 40 ^ [inter-tel prefix]=20
. . -.- --- . araei who-is-at rrz.uni-hamburg.de
. . . . . . . . Fed. Rep. Germany raeithel who-is-at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
arne_raeithel who-is-at magicvillage.de
100754.470 who-is-at compuserve.com