Re: Evolutionary Psychology and Sociocultural Theory

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:02:59 -0400

Bill wrote:

> There's a way in which affect has a lot to do with one's
>stance-toward-activity as we've discussed before, and perhaps even toward a
>stance constructed across various activities. And yet the relation is
>perhaps never constant, which is perhaps one reason why many research
>psychologists have been so reluctant to study affect.

Are you saying that affective orientations are both learned
(by way of recurring opportunities for participating in
certain ways & not others in certain activities/local systems-
of-social-relations) and at the same time to a certain degree always
contingent/emergent (in so far as opportunities arise to
participate in new ways? -- What counts as an opportunity to
participate in new ways is still a black box, though - it's
not simply setting up activity-specific conditions for individuals
to take new roles).

Can you say more?

Judy

Judy Diamondstone