Re: Bewilderment, ambiguity, and understanding

Robin Harwood (HARWOOD who-is-at UConnVM.UConn.Edu)
Sat, 13 Apr 96 10:10:53 EDT

Jay wrote:
>No one like the answer to this question. Yes, we can make
>transformative learning more likely to occur, but it requires
>that we subordinate the curriculum to the emerging agendas of
>the student (or the students/us). This means backing off from
>the assumption that we know what is best for students, to

Jay, I like this idea and have been thinking about it this week
as I have been teaching. I realized that, for me, preparing for
a class very much means "setting the agenda" of what I want the
students to learn, even while I try to give them space to learn
it on their own. This week I have tried to "set the agenda"
less; I can say that discussion has been lively--which may be
a good sign... Less emphasis on setting the agenda works in
seminars, but is more problematic in lecture classes, where
professorial control over the content is part and parcel of
the genre. Perhaps this is part of what I dislike about lecture
courses...

Robin