Re: Freire and monologism

smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Fri, 5 Apr 96 19:06:12 -0600

Bloom's piece was in a book edited by S.J. French in 1954, Accent on
Teaching: Experiments in General Education. NY: Harper and Row. It's
probably in the musty section of most libraries, if there at all--as I
recall someone sent me my copy, I think Mike Rose, who used the stimulated
recall methodology for his dissertation and sent the Bloom chapter to me
because I was interested in verbal reports as data (e.g., protocol analysis).

I'd have to reread the whole article carefully to answer your question, but
my sense from skimming it is that teachers in general predict covert
attention pretty poorly (or at least those in the sample, who were U. of
Chicago profs). I imagine that there is variation, depending on whether the
lecturer is intent on the material or on connecting with the class through
the material.

Peter

At 04:42 PM 4/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>3. Instructors who are relatively good judges of overt behavior are unable
>>to make judgments about covert behavior. (p.30)
>
> This sounds like a very interesting article, Peter. Could you repost
>its citation? Does Bloom believe that certain instructors are good
>at making judgments regarding this type of covert behavior?
>
> Robin

Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061
smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu