Re: school fears

Barbara J Smith (bjsmith who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:34:37 -0500 (EST)

Dear Debbie,
Based on my work with some very shy grade 4 peer teachers who seemed to be
very anxious about school at the start of our project - I have come to think
that giving these students opportunities to help others takes their mind off
of their phobia - at least temporarily. In my research I was surprised
that the peer teachers who were nervous about teaching actually carried out
their teaching responsibilities. Their teacher said the experience changed
the way they participated in class - particularly in physical education -
where she at one time predicted she would have to peel them off the wall
to get them involved in activity. She was pleasantly surprised that they
are very active participants and the level of apprehension is changing.

Some might think anxious students are too fragile to be expected to help
in various ways. Somehow I think asking them to help invites them into
participation - much like Mike Cole took the time to encourage my
participation in this network - which contributed to changing my level of
electronic/expert anxiety.

Barb Smith
OISE/U. of T.