Re: democracy

=?iso-8859-1?Q?JO=C3O?= BATISTA MARTINS (jbmartin who-is-at sercomtel.com.br)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 22:00:19 -0300

At 19:45 25/03/1996 -0800, you wrote:
Can anybody provide me with names or references for more genuinely
democratic traditions of teaching social skills, either in the US context or
anyplace else for which relevant literature might be available in English?

>Thanks a lot
>
>Phil Agre

Phil, I think what the movement of scholl administration to take possible
the pupils' organization is frequently "cooptation". The "clubs", guilds,
etc... are created for to control the pupils, mainly when they are=
adolescents.

Thinking in democracy I recommend the Paulo Freire's books. At CENTER FOR
THE STUDY OF DEVELOPMENT AND SOCIAL CHANGE (Cambridge) you will can to find
bibliography's Freire. He works with themes: liberty, teacher x pupil
relations, etc... In the decade 70 he wrote about adult's alfabetization and
created the "laden pedagogy". He is very interesting. =20

Jo=E3o Martins
jbmartin who-is-at sercomtel.com.br