Re: "Gobbin, Renzo" <RenzoG who-is-at ise.canberra.edu.au>

smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Tue, 19 Mar 96 06:48:44 -0600

I recently read in a popular science magazine about the work of Helen Verran
of the U. of Melbourne, who has been studying the knowledge systen of the
Yolgnu people of northern Australia (apparently Bruno Latour is a great
admirer of her work). Are you familiar with her research? If so, what can
you tell us about it?

Thanks, Peter

At 09:26 AM 3/19/96 -1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am Renzo Gobbin and I am working at the Faculty of Information Sciences
and Engineering of the University of Canberra in Australia.
>I am researching for my master thesis the relation between tasks to be
performed in collaborative work environments and the social-cultural aspects
of IT tools adoption by human groups.
>I will analyze and compare the evolutionary cognitive aspect of tools usage
in collaborative group activities performed in aboriginal, peasant and
information age societies using a Non-Cartesian methodology.

>My research will use a variety of disciplines reflecting my previous
academic studies in philosophy, anthropology, sociology and information
sciences:

>Philosophy: Hegel, Heidegger, Habermas, hermeneutics, phenomenology.
>Anthropology: Human ethology and evolutionary sociobiology.
>Cognitive Sciences: Activity Theory, Knowledge acquisition, Collaborative
learning.
>Sociology: socio-cultural aspects of collaborative work, group structure
and organisation.
>IT: CSCW, CSCL and HCI.
>
>Theorist that inspire my interest are: Vigotsky, Kaptelinin, Merleau-Ponty,
Dennett, Gadamer, Hinde, Adorno, Piaget, Searle, Holland, Nisbett, Stich,
Putnam, VanLehn, Carroll etc.ra.

>Attachment Converted: C:\EUDORA\GobbinRe.can

Peter Smagorinsky
University of Oklahoma
College of Education
Department of Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum
820 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73019-0260
(405)325-3533
fax: (405)325-4061
smagor who-is-at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
psmagorinsky who-is-at uoknor.edu