Re: Learning Disabilities

Olli Kuure (okuure who-is-at ktk.oulu.fi)
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 16:05:32 GMT+0300

Noel Gregg,

let's have a chat in Chigago, I hope you can bring off-prints of
your studies: what do you precisely mean by nonverbal learning
dissabilities? study of inner language, concept formation and meaning
negotiation are things that I'm interested in, however, I have
managed to do some work only concerning the last one. Olli Kuure

Olli Kuure

I hope we can connect in Chicago. I am also interested in the use of the
concept of inner language and its relation to problem solving for
adolescence and adults with nonverbal learning disabilities. We have done
some analysis of the oral language of this population which might interest
you.

Noel Gregg

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:04:42 GMT+0300
Sender: owner-VYGOTSKY who-is-at uoknor.edu
From: "Olli Kuure" <okuure who-is-at ktk.oulu.fi>
To: VYGOTSKY who-is-at uoknor.edu
Subject: Re: Issues of Special Populations

Interestingly, Manset & Gerber use Vygotsky's theory of the natural
history of sign as the point of departure in their study of students
with learning disabilities. I have made an attempt to develop a
typology of bilingualism based on the same theory, which in my view,
is a general semiotic theory, applicable in this case in
psycholinguistically orientated research. Our research team is also
conducting case studies of bilingual children with writing difficulties,
dysorthography. Thus, the prospects of discussion in Chigago look
very promising to me.

Olli Kuure
University of Oulu, Finland