Re: Rules and ideologies

Charles Bazerman (bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 10:00:54 -0800 (PST)

Bill Peneul's comments on addressivity in the invocation of rules in play
point toward the way in wich we imagine ourselves into social forms and
communicative interaction, attending to personal need, perception, and
desire while seeking the social forms that will give shape,
intelligibility, and realizability to social action.

Just before LSV's quotation on rules that I invoked a few days ago, LSV
also says "If all play is is the realization in play form of tendencies
that cannot be immediately gratified, then elements of imaginary
situations will automatically be part of the emotional tone of play
itself. "
The imagined rule, perceived as a socially available rule or type
or tool, becomes a means of realizing impulses and carries the expressive
force of the impulse that drives the imaginative creation and perhaps
also the anticipated gratification imagined in the projected state to be
realized through the forms of rules.
The data of rule discussions and negotiations, which several
people on the list have reported, show attempts by the participants
trying to create the gratificcation of their own desires within the
public space of the game--with at times the maintenance of that public
space--the continuation of play-- being the overriding need because no
other desire can be explored for its social gratification without the
maintenance of the play space.
The rule discussions also serve to triangulate the participants
into a more closely shared and interpretable set of behaviors.
This approach towards perceived rules and potential social tools
for creating desired states allows for both strongly aligning and
strongly resistant forms of orientation toward the perceived rules (as
well as all stances in the middle) at the same time as providing for an
orientation outwards into social roles and relations and symbols and
practices which provide the means for the social realization of the self.
I hope I have not been too obscure. Please ask for
clarifications.

By the way, my own students, who were mostly literature grad
students, took these issues in the direction of the kind of play spaced
literature provided, from the stance of writers and readers, and in
relation to the perceived rules of literary order and the idiosyncracy of
individual creation.

Chuck Bazerman