Re: The link between "macro" and "micro" (fwd)

Angel M.Y. Lin (mylin who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:07:30 -0500 (EST)

Jay and fellow xmca'ers,

I appreciate Jay your comments on the limitations of either only looking at
local situations or only looking at macro structures. To do a fair
critique of EM/CA, as you said, requires more work than can be conveyed in
a compressed message. I have tried to do it (you know I'm a critical
student) all through my student career... and in the process, I've found
that there's more to EM/CA than the usual critiques have been able to
capture. And yet, now... after all, :-) I think maybe we are just
looking at the same coin from the two different sides... no single theory
is an adequate tool for the analysis of the complex social and
educational phenomena we face... so, I very much appreciate your tool-kit
metaphor: we need many very different tools, tools that are
radically different :-) That's a very interesting point, and a very useful
one. Thanks!

I'm forwarding a communication of James Heap on the subject. I have
always had great respect for James' views. To be sure, he's an EM/CAist,
but in all my interactions with him, he's proven to be responsive to
others' views. EM/CA do not deny the relevance of macro social
structures, just that they won't take them for granted , and would always
try to look for concrete realizations of them. In this respect, I don't
think it's very different from Bourdieu's view on the agency of social
actors: we can reproduce or transform social structures... there are social
constraints, but social actors are not puppets of larger structures,
either. Oh well... I'll not be able to go further into it... not for the
time being... :-) happy new year (how many times i've said it now? :-)
Cheers,
Angel