Re: Ritual discourses

Rolfe Windward (IBALWIN who-is-at mvs.oac.ucla.edu)
Mon, 18 Dec 95 09:07 PST

To language's role in the concealment of self revealed in Jay's summary of
Steiner (Jay do you have a full cite for that, I can't locate it at UCLA and
would like to) one could also add the functional mimicry of con artists. I'm
not sure "communication" and mediation are separable in this respect but
doubtless there are subtleties that escape me.

A somewhat larger scale and distributed role of concealment (or "masking")
might be the way professions reduce the perception of the underdeterminacy of
their supporting and constitutive justifications. In my own research I have
come to focus on what I characterize as the professionalist curriculum
(teamwork, cooperation, presentational & communication skills,
entrepreneurship, etc.) and note little distinction between math/science and
humanities curricula when I do so. Even at the secondary level, there exist
significant elements of masking as groups learn to (re)present their findings
and hence their group/themselves in a "better light."

I do not read anything particularly sinister into this but have become curious
about what pressures the shift from industrialism to the "knowledge era" are
creating. Certainly it is quite possible to imagine professional networks
becoming quite as pernicious, hegemonic, and disingenuous as their more
maligned corporatist and/or bureaucratic counterparts and thus keeping at bay
more authentic speech forms (assuming we could ever tell the form from the
substance in any case).

No matter, there will always be surcease in the warmth of companionship and
celebration: A very merry season to you all then (& g'night Gracie).

ciao, Rolfe

Rolfe Windward (UCLA GSE&IS, Curriculum & Teaching)
ibalwin who-is-at mvs.oac.ucla.edu (text)
rwindwar who-is-at ucla.edu (text/BinHex/MIME/Uuencode)
CompuServe: 70014,00646 (text/binary/GIF/JPEG)

"I respect belief, but doubt is what gets you an education." W. Mizener