fast learning (re: Kelleen's paper)

Judy (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 12:01:30 -0500

Pete,

I have seen the same positive effects of "faking it" among seventh grade
students - specifically, acting as if he had authority, one student who did
not see himself and was not seen by his peers as a good writer, was able to
interact with academically proficient students so that, over time, he
acquired the resources he needed to make substantive contributions within a
small group writing activity. A 1991 study by Jungwirth, "Interaction and
Gender...: in _Educational Studies in Mathematics 22_ makes the argument
that boys regularly fake it more than girls in interaction with the teacher
and get constructed as a result as more competent.

- Judy