Re: mock linguistic play

Barbara J Smith (bjsmith who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 11:17:26 -0500 (EST)

Carey's message resonated with me as I am mother of two pre-schoolers
and a former primary teacher as well. From time to time I catch myself
covering up what I believe to be "parenting" mistakes by saying - well
I've only been a parent for 4 years - but I've been a teacher (in the
paid sense) for 15 years. I'm a newcomer to parenting - and it's tough
because as soon as I get a fix on how to do one thing - my children
change - so I'm constantly faced with new challenges. This is exactly how
I felt as a teacher.

I find that my teaching helps my parenting skills. For example, when I
read to my kids I'll stop half way through the book from time to time -
and ask my kids to tell me what might happen next - we might draw
pictures...this was not the way I was read to. I think having a broader
perspective on how kids learn helps me to consider more opportunities
that I might not have considered had I not been a teacher.

I believe that there is rich source of material in parenting books that fit
my image of good teaching.

If only all our students were given opportunities to parent/teach in
schools...

Barb Smith
OISE-U. of T.